Introduction: I know someone will love this. It is more of an unusual event, it came out of the blue and we were transfixed for about 4 hours on this one. So I bring you the gist in a fraction of that time. Enjoy.
Minister: Prof. and Dr. (Mrs) Timothy Oyetunde
As long as you’re in Christ, there is hope
When you marry a good wife, you live longer. _Research
Questions for reflection:
- Why do you want to marry, What do you want to achieve with mariage
- Do you think you have the qualification for an intimate relationship or marriage?
- What assets will you be bringing to your relationship
- What liabilities will you be bringing to your relationship
- What specific criteria will you be looking for in your potential partner.
- What 3 factors will you think are essential for a successful intimate relationship.
- What 3 factors do you think are responsible for the breakdown of many intimate relationship or marriage
- What 3 things do you think will distinguish a Christian relationship from that of unbelievers
- Why do you think many Christian intimate relationships are not better than many of unbelivers
- Why do you think a Christian marriage is a service or ministry
- Why do you think a Christian marriage is a preparation for heaven
Biblical truths to establish you in this subject:
- God is a maker and builder of a successful intimate relationship or marriage Gen. 2:18
- A good wife or faithful man are from God
- Marriage is a yoke.
You can be married to a Christian and still be unequally yoked.
- God is interested in the person you marry.
It is not about luck.
- No matter your observations; Marriage is for enjoyment. (God gave us all things to enjoy)
Married people have been shown to live longer than single people (Not meaning you should marry today 🙂
Marriage is fragile
Marriage is not a project nor a contract. It is a covenant and commitment of showing unconditional love
Even if you marry an angel, you will have to suffer a while to gain stability.
When you say “I do” it is fixed. Whatever you find in it, it is your own.
Marriage is indeed a preparation for heaven, because all the qualities needed to get to heaven will be practiced in marriage.
Marriage is a love relationship between a mature male and a female. It is also a way a male and a female are connected to affect each other.
It is a commitment to serve and minister to the need of the other person
There are 2 ways to do intimate relationship: God’s and the world’s. Do it God’s way.
6 kinds of preparation:
mental or attitudinal
The spiritual: Becoming a disciple of Christ.
NB: It is possible to serve God and not know Him
When you ask for a partner who fears God; the real question should be do you yourself fear God.
The emotional: You should have a sense of worth. Not an emotional wreck. Be stable yourself because marriage will compound your problems
The Social: Cultvating the social skill of a win-win communication, courtesy, being quick to forgive and smart conflict resolution
The Intellectual: Be Smart. Be committed to reading and learning. Be an intellectual practitional
The Economic: Have plans.
The Mental/Attitudinal: To succeed you must be optimistic, not easily discouraged, grateful and thankful. This is critical, because without hope, your faith won’t work. Be joyful always. Be tolerant. Marriage demands it.
5 Conditions that affect choice
- Willingness to accept God’s choice
- Willingness to be guided by biblical standards
- Willingness to sleep. (Surrender and trust)
- Willingness not to compromise biblical standard of purity in every stage.
- General ways God leads
Practice becoming one using three Ps-Pray, plan and play together.
Practice the golden rule, do unto others what you want them to do to you.
Resolve conflict constructively in a win-win amnner
Handle in-laws constructively
Be faithful sexually, emotionally, socially, intellectually and spiritually
Raise Godly children
Grow in discipleship
Keep the family altar alive