TEXT: 1 Peter 3:2-5
1 Cor 10:31 Therefore, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God. NKJV
There is so much controversy nowadays about what constitute Christian dressing and worldly dressing. The purpose of this study is not to join in the debate but rather to help heaven-minded believers to decide on what is godly and edifying in the midst of this corrupt generation. We would explore what constitutes the purposes of clothing and dressing and avoiding the traps of seductive apparels.
LESSON 1: PURPOSE, PLACE AND POWER OF DRESSING
The Bible reveals the followings about the purpose, place and power of dressing in the community of humanity:
- The purpose of dressing is to cover nakedness- Gen. 3:7, 21.
- Another purpose of dressing is for glory and beauty – Exod. 28:2, 40-43.
- Your dressing is the first description of your impression and identity- Exod. 2:16-19.
- Indecent dressings arouse evil and immoral thoughts – Prov. 23:33 KJV
- Commercial sex workers have their kinds of dressing. Christians should not engage in such to avoid mistaken identity- Prov. 7:10 KJV & NET
The implication of these is that Christians should be mindful of what they put on. Clothing meant for bedroom, swimming pool, etc. should not be worn outside the house. Clothes that are revealing are not only suggestive but also seductive. When next you are dressing and you dress indecently, ask yourself the reasons why you dress. Do you dress to kill, and to kill who?
LESSON 2: CAUTION TO HEAVEN-MINDED BELIEVERS
Believers should not stay behind in the crusade against indecent dressing. Though good clothing does not make a Christian, yet a genuine Christian is also known by what he/she put on. Thus Christian should be involved in the battle against the wiles of the devil to demoralize the Church. They should avoid place, materials, dresses and fashion styles that promote nudity and immorality. The following Scriptures should be considered when deciding to dress:
Your dressing should not be a stumbling block and a subject of controversy -Rom. 14:13-17;
If you think you are free to do what you like, listen to this warning-1 Cor. 8:9-13.
Follow the examples of historical Bible women like Sarah -I Tim.2:9; I Pet. 3:1-6.
- Avoid lustful desires
- Shun dresses which expose body parts and dresses that arouse lustful passion.
- Only spend your money on good, godly dress and do not receive pornographic dresses as gifts
- Disallow your children from using such dresses too.
We are the light of the world. Any form of dressing likely to excite people sexually should not be worn by Christians, especially in public places. This alone makes nonsense of our primary assignment which is soul-winning. Remember you are the Bible that others are reading.
Destroy any seductive dress in your wardrobe. Buy a decent dress for someone if you are in a position to do so.
QUESTIONS FOR DISCUSSION
How can we control indecent/naked/’ body-revealing/ sexually-suggestive dressing in the Church? …in schools and offices?
This Bible Study outline was prepared by Rev. Olubunmi Obalade (PhD.)